Project Overview

The purpose of this project is to bring you closer to Christ through the Book of Mormon. Our Stake Presidency has challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in its entirety before the end of the year while paying special attention to Christ and His mission in the Plan of Salvation. We will be reading the Book of Mormon from August 1-December 31, and our ward will be focusing on the references to Christ throughout the Book of Mormon. As you read we invite you to mark in Red each reference to the Savior. You will be amazed how often He is mentioned.
It is our hope that you accept this challenge with an open heart and know that as you complete the Book of Mormon, you will have a stronger testimony of the importance of this book and its account and witness of Jesus Christ. Remember that through prayer and study you will be able to obtain a stronger testimony as well as a desire to learn more. We hope you will join us as we feast upon the words of Christ together and grow spiritually through this experience.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Understanding Isaiah’s Writings

The writings of Isaiah are difficult to understand because:
1.       They are written in poetic form. Poetry is difficult to translate to other languages while maintaining both the literary style and meaning.
2.       They deal with unfamiliar places, people, names and events
3.       They were intentionally made difficult to understand. The people did not want to hear the simple word of the Lord, so Isaiah carefully wrote with symbolism, poetry, and complex terminology.      


Five Keys to Understanding Isaiah Given in 2 Nephi 25
1.  Understand the “manner of prophesying among the Jews” 25:1
2.  Do not do “works of darkness” or “doings of abominations”25:2
3.  Be filled with the spirit of prophecy 25:4
4.  Be familiar with regions around Jerusalem 25:6
5.  Live during the days that the prophecies of Isaiah are fulfilled 25:7

Historical Circumstances of Isaiah’s Writings
Judah – The southern half of the divided tribes. The capital was Jerusalem. The king of Judah was Ahaz, the son of Jotham, of of Uzziah.
Israel – The northern half of the divided tribes. The capital was Samaria. The king of Israel was Pekah, son of Remaliah.
Syria – The neighboring country to the East of Israel. The capital was Damascus. The King of Syria was Rezin.
Assyria – The strong and fierce country to the East of Syria (modern day Iraq)
Approximately 800 BC, Assyria was conquering all neighboring countries. Israel and Syria formed an alliance against Assyria. Even though Israel and Syria were traditional enemies of Judah, they asked Judah to join their alliance out of a greater fear of Assyria. Judah feared both th alliance of Syria and Israel and Assyria. Isaiah told King Ahaz (King of Judah) not to fear the alliance of Israel an Syria, nor Assyria, but to trust in the Lord. King Ahaz rejected Isaiah’s counsel and made a treaty with Assyria, becoming a vassel state to Assyria. Later, in 722 BC, Assyria destroyed Israel (carrying off the “Lost” ten tribes) and Syria. In 701 BC, Assyria attacked and was on the verge of destroying Judah when the Lord destroyed the attacking Assyrian Army (2 Kings 19:35). The remnant of Judah was later conquered by Babylonia (after Lehi and his family fled in 600 BC).

5 comments:

Britt said...

I was also in an institute class where the teacher made an interesting observation about Isaiah. Because the language is greatly symbolic, and the symbolism comes from ancient cultures and it can be hard to understand, there is another method to reading Isaiah. He told us "Read it really fast!"
It actually helped me come to understand Isaiah because as you read it fast, you pick up on themes. There are chapters where, though the specifics are hard to understand, you can determine the theme of the Lord being saddened by Ancient Israel's disobedience. Then there are other chapters when you can feel Isaiah's delight at the idea of redemption and atonement.
So, if you ever find yourself a little bogged in Isaiah, read faster.

Britt said...

Okay, so I just finished writing a comment a moment ago, but I am not sure if it posted or not. In any case, here's the gist:

I was in an Institute class where a teacher taught us a new way to understand Isaiah. When you get bogged down in the symbolism and ancient writings, READ FASTER! That way, you pick up on themes that will help elucidate some of the writings.
For instance, as you read (quickly), you can perceive the Lord's displeasure with disobedient Israel or Isaiah's joy and elation with the doctrine of atonement. If you read slow trying to understand each meaning of each symbol, you may encounter a loss of the "big picture" and simple themes that are easily understood.

Ellen Young said...

Britt, does it also help if you skip whole sections all together? Why is this so difficult? I often sit reading Isaiah, and I can just picture this look of despair and anguish. I think that may have been Isaiah's attempt at getting us to actually "feel" what he is saying.

In all seriousness, it has been very helpful to look for references to Christ because I am actually attempting to figure it all out. Is there anyone out there who is an expert on Isaiah? Maybe the anonymous post that talks about reading it side by side with the KJV? Maybe we could do some study class together and get through it with someone who can stop, tell us what we've just read, and then continue? That would help me a lot. Any takers?

Julz said...

Ellen I'm with you on skipping whole sections. I also like the idea of the study class together to get through it.

The che said...

This is what I'm thinking about Isaiah as of...right now:

I have 2 different experiences with Isaiah. Sometimes Isaiah is really shrouded to me (like this time through) and its hard for me to feel quickly inspired by it. Sometimes I will even think "I need to be uplifted today and this isn't helping". Conversely, I have had some of my most amazing spiritual experiences with Isaiah. Something special can happen with Isaiah where you suddenly 'just get it' and you see how Isaiah is interconnected and it appears very plain and obvious. Its like suddenly understanding a new language. At those time I have felt firey and alive with the spirit of the writings of Isaiah. And then....I will read the same passages a few weeks later and sadly they can again be dark to me and I can't quite 'just get it' like I did when I read it before.

So, now I try to make sense of my bifurcated experience with Isaiah. What is making Isaiah so different for me? The words have been the same for centuries, thus the changing factor must be me.

My theory is that Isaiah is only unveiled by the Spirit. Like 3D glass in a movie the Spirit will make everything clear and alive that seemed fuzzy and dizzy on the screen. So, the trick is getting an added portion of the Spirit to provide this medium. If I recall correctly, the times I have had the greatest experiences in Isaiah were when I put in added spiritual work beforehand to specifically understand it. This included a specific fast to understand Isaiah, pushing forward even when I didn't get it, cross referencing a lot, spending longer than normal in the scriptures so I could get farther (like Brit said with the 'fast' idea--you need to traverse more ground with Isaiah, multiple chapters, to get the themes. I'm just not a fast reader), and taking more time to ponder. When I put in extra work, those are the times the spirit has opened my eyes and made Isaiah much more clear and amazing to me. Its a fun reward--finding when you are seeking.

Also, David Ridges was a professor who specialized in Isaiah. He has a book out, I haven't read it, but he is a great man and teacher so I think it would be a good book.