Project Overview

The purpose of this project is to bring you closer to Christ through the Book of Mormon. Our Stake Presidency has challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in its entirety before the end of the year while paying special attention to Christ and His mission in the Plan of Salvation. We will be reading the Book of Mormon from August 1-December 31, and our ward will be focusing on the references to Christ throughout the Book of Mormon. As you read we invite you to mark in Red each reference to the Savior. You will be amazed how often He is mentioned.
It is our hope that you accept this challenge with an open heart and know that as you complete the Book of Mormon, you will have a stronger testimony of the importance of this book and its account and witness of Jesus Christ. Remember that through prayer and study you will be able to obtain a stronger testimony as well as a desire to learn more. We hope you will join us as we feast upon the words of Christ together and grow spiritually through this experience.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 1 -- Intro-1 Nephi 11

Introduction to the Book of Mormon, including the Testimony of the Witness' including Joseph Smith's Story. 
Lehi preaches repentance to the Jews in Jerusalem. He is persecuted and the Lord commands him in a dream to depart into the wilderness.  Lehi and his family leave the city and depart into the wilderness. Laman and Lemuel murmur against their father, Nephi is obedient.  The sons of Lehi return to Jerusalem to seek the Brass Plates. Nephi is constrained by the spirit and slays Laban to obtain the records and they return to their parents in the wilderness. Lehi and Sariah rejoice in the safe return of their sons. Lehi's sons return to Jerusalem to enlist Ishmael and his family in their cause. Laman and others rebel and bind Nephi who is freed by the power of faith. Lehi sees a vision of the tree of life. Lehi prophecies.  Nephi desires to see what his father saw and is also shown in vision the tree of life. 

6 comments:

Tom Young said...

Something interesting that I found is in 1 Nephi 2:16 & 3:1 that Nephi was visited and spoken to by the Lord yet in 3:2 his father (the patriarch) gave him futher instruction from the Lord. Why didn't the Lord tell him directly while they were visiting & speaking together? We learn something of the 'order' of the Lord.

Nanette Thomas said...

I have found it interesting to read the 1 Nephi 1-11; that if I continue to deligently seek God mysteries of God they will be unfolded unto me by the power of the Holy Ghost. All God want us to is be firm and stedfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord. I think this is (Good Stuff) in the first chapters of Nephi I can take this has a new beginning for myself and I ready to move forward. I am gratful to be a part of this God's Church because I am learning so much. I am so glad we were giving this assignment because my heart is open for what God got instored for me. I leave this with you all in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

Nanette Thomas said...

I found by reading 1 Nephi Chapter 1-11; I took it personal that I need to keep a repenting heart, let the power of God's mysteries unfold to me by the power of the Holy Ghost. And be firm and stedfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord. I am so glad I am a part of this assignment because its important to me to take heed to was going on for me and to prepare myself to meet him. I glad to be in the true church and a part of this great ward family. I can't wait to read more about God's mysteries and let it unfold to me.
Love everyone and I leave this with you all in the scared name of Jesus Christ Amen.

Ellen Young said...

Nanette, thank you for that beautiful realization. I agree. I feel like these first few chapters give us great insight into Nephi. He really knew the Lord personally. He knew that the Lord would give him strength to do anything; he knew that the Lord was stronger than Laban and even says stronger than Laban's ten thousand.

What an amazing example of faith! I love the whole Book of Mormon, but these first few chapters really show us how we should be even in times of tribulation.

Jennifer Terkleson said...

Nanette: like like like!!! I am glad we are reading this too! I can't tell you how many times I have read these chapters (and re-read them!!) You are inspiring!!

S Parker said...

Loved having these comments shared in Relief Society today by the ever amazing teacher LeeAnn.